Tuesday 31 October 2023

October in Review

Sewing, Alterations and Mending


Top left clockwise:  cream coloured merino wool sweater (OOP Kwik Sew 4192), men's blue sweatpants (OOP Kwik Sew 3663),  chair cover and pillow sham (no pattern used) and white organic cotton knit panties (Simplicity 8229).  

Mending wise there were a few unexpected projects that needed some tender loving care.  

  • A small hole near the back neckline seam was found in the pink merino dress as I went to get dressed.  It seems that is when I discover that items should be in the mending pile instead of hanging in the closet.  I used matching silk thread for mending this hole.  
  • The hand-stitching on the inside cuff needed to be re-stitched on a favourite shirtdress.  Actually this one was not unexpected, rather it was sitting on the mending pile for months.  I hand-stitched it back in place with some cotton thread.  
  • Small holes discovered on RTW t-shirts were also taken care of to extend the life for another season?   I used Fray Check™ around the edges of the hole and a polyester thread.  Here is a really helpful tip when using Fray Check™.  

Alterations were made to the hem of these pants.  Believe it or not the the non-existent hem allowance was shortened an inch.  

 

Life Without a Serger & Stash Busting

The serger sieged earlier this month and has been in the repair shop for weeks.  It's waiting for a new needle plate.  It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  The blessing came in the form of an opportunity to organize the workspace and prep future projects.  Despite being without a serger for most of the month, there were 5.84 metres of fabric and 3 metres of elastic stash busted this month.  

Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

  1. Over and over I hear comments on merino wool just getting wear holes. I have yet to sew with this declared "wonderful" fabric or even wear it because of these comments. I have cashmere sweaters, some thrifted, that have worn really well, some decades old. I will add your merino count to the stash in my brain. Thanks for the validation.

    Now I need to face some mending, myself!

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...