Wednesday 5 April 2023

Stash busting: Pull-on pants / OOP Butterick 6717

Out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 6717 (available in digital format here) is a pattern that I have been meaning to revisit since making the last pair.  I finally got around to working on another pair after I came across this cotton stretch fabric last week.  


The fabric is a cotton stretch that has been in the deep stash for years, many, many years.  It was previously pretreated and ready to cut.  

This pattern has become a go-to pants pattern because they are comfortable to wear.  I really like the comfort of the elasticized back and the clean look of the dartless front.  The pattern design has side pockets but I decided to leave them off.  

Techniques and Tips

For the last pair and these as well, I did a narrow line of topstitching at the back top edge of the elastic casing.  I used the blind hem foot and set the needle to the left side for sewing.  I switched the one inch suggested elastic width to one and one-quarter inch width.  I found these changes eliminate elastic rolling while wearing the pants.  

The side and crotch seams are serged together to reduce thread costs and time working at the machines.  I didn't match my thread colour with the fabric, just went with what was a closest match and found in the stash.  No one will notice that the serger thread colour is beige where the fabric colour is green.

Project details

Seams:  2.6 - 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Elastic:  1 metre (1 1/4" wide)


Pattern
:  OOP Butterick 6717

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, ironing board, iron, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, blind hem foot, Janome serger, thread clippers, screwdriver, safety pins, and a lot of breaks.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...