Saturday 1 April 2023

No More Excuses: Fixing a Silk Top, McCall's 7630

Almost five years ago, I made this silk noir pullover top using McCall's 7630.  In recent years, I haven't worn it as often as I wished because with my ever evolving body shape, crop like tops are not comfortable to wear now-a-days.  I want more coverage.    

McCall's 7630:  Left is the original hem, right is lengthened hem.

Thankfully, I have more silk in the stash that I was able to cut a band to sew at the hemline.  First, I spent some time taking out the stitches from the narrow hem.  It was a slow process while wearing a cast but I managed to get it done.  This morning, I managed to cut a 47 1/8" x 9 1/4" rectangle to give a wide band at the bottom.  Another slow process that just proved that I have no more excuses for not sewing while wearing a cast.  


And the best part of having this top back in rotation is the perfect elbow length sleeves roomy enough to get over the cast.  


Project details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.2 metres

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Seam ripper, scissors, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, pins, Janome serger, iron, ironing board, cutting table, Tylenol, coffee and a CD playing in the background.

Happy Sewing and No More Excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...