Saturday 19 February 2022

Raglan Sleeve Robe: Vintage Simplicity 6851

Out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 6851 made it back to the cutting table when a request came to see if I could fix the buttons and transfer them to "right side" of the previously made robe.  Actually, on both prior versions of the pattern, I managed to sew the buttons and buttonholes on the wrong side.  Yup, I'm disappointed with those mistakes.  Happy to report, I finally got it right!  


I declined the offer to fix it and offered to make another robe.  It broke my heart when it was brought to my attention that I made that error.  And I really wanted to make it right and start over again.  Now that this one is done, I will go back and fix the other robe.  

But let's talk about this one first.  There was one additional change to this robe.  Another request for a longer sleeve length happened with the second robe but I did not have enough yardage to accommodate that request.  With this fabric, there was ample yardage and the sleeves were lengthened seven inches.  The height of the pockets were raised.  And all hems and facings were top-stitched in place.  


The fabric is a 2021 find from the discounted home décor fabric selection at the local Fabricland store.  It is a 100% cotton and it went through the pre-treatment process before hitting the cutting table.  It was pre-washed in the washing machine, followed by a tumble in the dryer and a steam press.  

The sewing process was smooth and without incident until it came to the buttonholes.  Not for the same reason that occurred with the first two robes.  The automatic buttonholer on the sewing machine was challenged with sewing a nice buttonhole.  On two of the six buttonholes, the seam ripper was used to pull out stitches when the timing was off.  It might be time to take the machine service and have it checked out.  For a moment there, I thought I might have to pull out the vintage Singer sewing machine and sew buttonholes old-school style.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch 

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3 metres

Pattern:  OOP Simplicity 6851

Buttons:  6 - 1 inch buttons

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushions, scissors, tailor's chalk, clapper (used as a fabric weight), thread clippers, sewing machine, walking foot, buttonhole foot, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, cutting board, hammer, iron, ironing board, serger, threads, new serger needle, measuring tape, measuring gauge and tea.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...