Wednesday 16 February 2022

In Sewing News Today...

Are you a pattern tracer?  

Or do you just dive right into a pattern and snip away?  

I'll admit, for most of my sewing journey I've been one to cut away.  It was all about saving precious time and spending it at the sewing machine.  

There were exceptions. 

When I need to grade a pattern, I will certainly trace it out.  

Or if I'm working with a new-to-me pattern line, I'll give serious consideration to investing the time into tracing.  

But what about if you have a pattern in your size from a pattern line you've worked with before?  Would you spend the time tracing?  

A pattern just like this one crossed my cutting table.  

I didn't have the heart to cut into it.  

I've wanted to sew an authentic Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress Vogue pattern for years.  

Many years.  

And now that the opportunity presented itself, I just couldn't cut into it.  

So, I risked it all.  

The potential back pain, the aching knees, it was a risk worth taking to preserve this pattern.  

I'm taking my time with this project.  

I'm enjoying the process.  

And the details that make this pattern so special.  

It is with crossed fingers that I'm carefully stitching it together hoping that I will end up with a wearable toile.  

If not, that's okay.  

Because this is a project that brought back the joy in sewing, missing for far too long.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm a tracer - but that's mostly because I vary wildly between sizes pretty often. I hate to have to buy a pattern again - especially since we Canadians don't get the same fantastic pattern sales our American friends do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually am not. In my sewing room patterns have to earn their tracing status. If they turn out to be tried and true, fit well, I trace them out onto oak tag so I have them permanently and they can hold up to lots of use. I re use my TNTs a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...