Sunday 21 February 2021

Winter Wear Sewing: OOP McCall's 2495

This is my new car coat.  I'm so over down filled jackets that don't block the wind.  

It's reversible! And it's made with a scooter print that I found in the upholstery department at Mitchell Fabrics, many moons ago. Underlined with a jogger's fleece which according to one of the fabric professionals at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics will block the wind. And the other side is a wool fabric also from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  There is enough red wool left over to make a skirt or pair of pants. Decisions to be made at a later time.    

I added patch pockets to the wool side for somewhere to throw my keys. No button or zipper closure, I just plan to close it with a brooch or large decorative pin.  

Let's talk about this pattern. I actually almost over-looked this swing jacket pattern for this project. Mostly because of the sleeves. Flared sleeves for winter wear are not exactly practical for prairie winters.  

So I tapered them to be more like my winter coat sleeve width using pattern piece from OOP Vogue 8934 as my guide. Besides changing the shape of the sleeve and adding pockets, there's two additional inches added to the length.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 stitch length

Seam finish:  Graded seam allowances and zig-zag edges on the printed fabric, serged edges on the wool

Tips:  Invest in a clapper, it will make pressing edges so much easier.   

Fabric:  6 metres 

Pattern:  OOP McCall's 2495, circa 1999.  

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushions, thread clippers, tailor's chalk, hand sewing needle, threads, tailor's wax, sewing machine, sewing machine needle, walking foot, screwdriver, iron, ironing board, clapper, serger.  

Stay safe and Happy Sewing!

4 comments:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...