Tuesday 2 February 2021

Ebony Dress: Closet Case Patterns

 


I've had my eye on Ebony dress by Closet Case patterns for quite some time. Finally, it made it to the sewing table!  The thought of an easy-to-wear, pullover dress that flows away from the mid-section was a win in my books. The only thing that would make this dress more perfect would be a set of side pockets.  There just wasn't enough fabric to add pockets because I added some length.  


The illustration on the cover envelope and the sample photo lead me to believe that the sleeve fit snuggly across the arm.  If this was true it wouldn't be a good look for me.  So I increased the width of the sleeves, a totally unnecessary move that I later corrected.  I also added four inches to the length, reducing it two inches before sewing an inch hemline. Considering my five foot frame, this dress comes below the knee length.  It's a much safer option for a tent-style dress that will be worn in what can be at times, one windy city.  

The one thing that I do not like about this simple design is how the sleeve hem is drafted and angled.  Take note of this and fix it while you cut it out. 

The fabric is a beautiful 95% cotton and 5% elastane knit designed in Denmark by stoffabrics.com.  The print is Avalana, style #MSJ17-112.  I'm happy I can share these fabric details because I can't express enough how much I enjoyed sewing this knit. It was prewashed and dried in the dryer before hitting the cutting table. And the best part, it's width.  This fabric is able to accommodate the hem width of the Ebony dress design.  


Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged, hems were finished with Knit 'N Stable tape before serging and hemming.  

Tips:  Knit 'N Stable tape is worth the investment.  

Fabric:  2.2 metres

Twill tape:  0.5 metres

Pattern:  Ebony Dress pattern

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, scissors, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads, tweezers, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...