Tuesday 19 January 2021

Slow Sewing: Scrub Cap Project

 


My latest project is to send off another thirty scrub caps and it's been a slow and painful process. And yet extremely rewarding.  

The slow part is finding the time.  The painful part is the working around the hand swelling and wrist pain added to that, the dry cracked hands from all the hand sanitizer used during the day.  During this time, coming home and using my hands is one of the last things I want to do.  I just want to give my hands another massage with hand cream and let them rest.  


The rewarding part comes from making these scrub caps from scraps and left-over pieces of fabric from other projects.  The scrub cap above is make with the white cotton from this shirt project and the x and o print used from little girls dresses made many moons ago. The green scrub cap is make from left over cotton and linen blend fabric from this dress project.  

Topping this is knowing that this is going to very hard working health care professionals working during a very difficult and challenging time.  

Ten are done, another twenty to sew.  First, I'll have to search for more fabric pieces that will be large enough to cut the band / tie piece. Most of my quilting cottons do not have the length I need and are too narrow to fit the pattern piece. I'm going to have to search the fabric stash to finish cutting out eleven more caps and get busy sewing.  Hands willing.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  


4 comments:

  1. Can I ask what pattern you are using for the scrub caps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the link to the free PDF pattern that I am using for these scrub caps. https://www.covidscrubhats.org/pdf-instructions

      Delete
  2. registered nurse here. If your hands are cracking from sanitizer, you may be putting yourself at more risk than skipping it sometimes. Intact skin is a barrier to germs, open areas are a door for them. Some things you can do: find a good skin barrier cream, let it dry completely and see if it helps some. Wear disposable gloves, but you have to change and wash (or sanitize) before touching any where on your face, going into you purse, etc. when you get home, wash, put your best lotion on or maybe try cooking coconut oil or Vaseline, cover with Cotten gloves and let it soak in for a while. I like to leave them on overnight. It looks like you are taking care of many. Don’t forget to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your for the advice. I've been using O'Keeffe's but they're still dry and cracked. I'm going to give the coconut oil a try tonight.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...