Friday 13 September 2019

Fall / Winter 2019 - 2020 Fashion Trend: Updating Simplicity 8529

This season, one of the hottest fashion trends to hit the runways has been feathers. I've gotta tell ya, a gal can have some fun with this one.  Now that I'm older and wear comfortable shoes, I don't tend to follow the trends as closely as I used to but this one just makes me giddy with happiness. It also makes me think how I can work this into my plain old prairie gal lifestyle without ruffling too many feathers (sorry, couldn't resist).  

2019 - 2020 Fall / Winter Collection
{Source}

Okay, maybe not this much fun. Like I mentioned, I do live in the prairies and winter is coming. 

Valentino 2019 - 2020 Fall / Winter
{Source}

Even the Valentino feather covered coat might be a bit much for this part of the world. But I digress. I'm supposed to be having some fun with this one. And I do have some feather trim in my stash. I kid you not. It's a Toronto find which would mean that it has been in my stash for decades.  


Let's see, I made this sweater, Simplicity 8529, a couple of seasons ago and since then it has shrunk and it still fits. But it could use some attention. Feathers might just do the trick to bring it back to the forefront of my wardrobe choices.

Front view

I was being conservative with this one and just added it to the hem. I first thought to attach it to the inside of the hemline with snaps so that it could easily be removed. I nixed that thought and went with hand stitching it in place with some silk thread.  

Back view

Nothing as elaborate as the designer looks but I'm okay with that and feeling a little bit trendy.  


The Stats


Previously sewn:  Simplicity 8529 made in November 2017

Feather trim:  1.10 metres

Thread:  100% silk

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Hand-sewing needles, scissors.  

Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. Your feather trim is gorgeous! Adds just enough "interest" to the sweater to make it really special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like your feather trim. The other runway items are just a bit over the top to me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too as well as being not at all within my budget! God bless.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...