Thursday 26 September 2019

Boy's Shirt: Vintage Simplicity 4166

Oh my goodness, this project is filled with so much love. I absolutely love sewing clothing for little wee people. This shirt is for an age 5 little boy, a mini-me version to match Dad's shirt.  


I used vintage Simplicity 4166 and made a few changes.  


The plackets were changed to the same style of sleeve plackets as the Dad version. They are the same width as Vogue 8889 but shortened to the same opening length as Simplicity 4166.  


Instead of following the pattern instructions regarding the yoke, I opted for sewing it with the couture method. This technique is similar to the one used on the Dad version.  


The final change was to the back ease. The design calls for soft gathers on the side of the back. After sewing the design as it was meant to be sewn I decided that I wanted to go with a centre back pleat. The pattern piece for the cuff was missing so I just had to improvise and cut one based on the measurements. of the sleeve.    


The Stats

Fabric:  1.1 metres

Interfacing:  0.2 metres fusible

Buttons:  6 recycled

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, hand sewing needle, threads, sewing machine, serger, walking foot, buttonhole foot, iron, ironing board, seam ripper and screwdriver.  

Happy Sewing! 


2 comments:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...