Tuesday 27 August 2019

One Last Cork Handbag: McCall's 7851

Out of all of the items I've sewn over the years, none received more inquiries and compliments as my cork handbag.

This includes inquiries to have one made by various individuals. Often when I state the price I'm willing to make it for, the request is rescinded. But sometimes I cross paths with individuals who realize that I'm not a one-person sweatshop operator. I'm just charging for the supplies and my time, I'm not making a profit margin on these bags, minus the one bag that was gifted. This is the forth version of this handbag style and it will be the last as I've finished up the last of the cork for this design. And I'm not seeking out more yardage of cork fabric for this purpose. 


I ran out of the peacock print canvas that was quite popular. The two canvases that I have in my fabric stash were nixed by the client. 



Instead the client chose to go with a silk lining similar to the last version I made. Since the lining has been interfaced, it gives it a nice structure to hopefully hold up to any wear that may occur by various items carried within it's folds.  


The trickiest part of this project is sewing through the suede which was attached to a back side of cork fabric.


Leather sewing machine needles did the trick, for the most part. There was some skipped stitches that needed to be sewn over. I'm not quite certain why that occurred. Moving along the two layers (the suede and cork fabrics) were aided with basting tape to hold the pieces together and the walking foot on the sewing machine. Now that this project is finished, I think it's time to retire McCall's 7851.    

The Stats

Fabric:  0.60 metres of cork; 0.60 metres of silk and 0.40 metres of suede

Interfacing:  0.60 metres fusible

Basting Tape:  0.50 metres

Sewing machine needle:  Leather

Pattern:  McCall's 7851

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, walking foot, pins, clothes pins, basting tape, tailor's chalk, threads, scissors, thread clippers, screwdriver, serger.  

Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. I have never sewn with cork and you are the second person I visit that makes handbags with this.

    Perhaps some day I will be able to give this a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy, it just curls and doesn't take well to pins. I found clothes pins work well at holding the cork pieces together. I used basting tape to hold the suede to the cork fabric. And no seam finish required.

      Delete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...