Saturday 10 August 2019

New Pants: Vogue 1642

Vogue 1642 caught my eye because of that comfy looking top with pockets. But then as I took a closer look I became enthralled with the pants pattern as well. It has front darts, front waistband and a back elasticized waist. Oh, and did I mention it has pockets?  And the best part of the pattern is where the waistband sits - at the actual waistline!


Vogue 1642 is a perfectly comfortable looking pair of pants. And I could use a pair of comfortable pants. Even though I have some wool suiting fabric that would be perfect, I didn't want to cut into it before I tested the pattern. I chose a striped linen that I found in the home decor department a couple of years ago. I picked up this fabric thinking to make a pair of drawstring pants but never did. I thought this would be a good fabric to test out the pattern and hopefully have a wearable muslin. And it worked out wonderfully.  


I requested the size combination Y (XS to Med), instead was given the larger size by the salesperson at Fabricland. This mistake has happened in the past. I should have learned not to trust that I will be given what I ask for but I didn't check the pattern size before I left to store. Not realizing I had a different size combination than requested and until I arrived home and removed the contents from the envelope. This is God at work because once I looked at the finished measurements on the pattern pieces, I realized that I should be sewing a large for the pants, medium for the top. Thank you God for that intervention! Sometimes I forget I'm shaped like a pear.  


There were some changes, I raised the crotch, cut the inseam as an extra-large, side seams as a large, shortened the hem by four inches and the left leg by an additional five-eighths of an inch. I opted for cutting the pockets in the linen instead of one side with lining fabric. Next time around I will raise the crotch a little more. This is certainly a wearable muslin and I'm sure it will be a favourite for the remainder of the summer. I think I'm ready to cut that wool suiting fabric now.  

The Stats

Fabric:  2.1 metres

Interfacing:  

Elastic:  1 metre of 1/2 inch 

PatternVogue 1642

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, iron, ironing board, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, scissors, thread clippers, measuring tape, measuring gauge, sewing machine, serger, threads, walking foot, blind hem foot, safety pins, and a chai tea latte.  

Happy Sewing!


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, this was a quick project.

      Delete
  2. Those look great in linen and will be wonderful in wool too. I like the waistband and pocket features but they are awfully wide. Do you think they would slim down easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think these could be slim down easily. I wouldn't do it because I do like a wide leg. Personal preference.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love those pants!! And that top is perfect. I have copied down the number and the next time I am in Fabricland am going to get it, though I could have better luck ordering it online.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Agree on the top pattern, it's on my want to make list as well. God Bless.

      Delete
  4. I like your stripped pants. I recently tried the pants from vogue 9176 which look very similar to the elastic back, wide leg version from 1642. I like the fit and ease of sewing. But I have such a flat bottom, the fabric gathers of the back waistband filled any indentation I have at the back waist and makes it look like I have no bum from a side view. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...