Saturday 31 August 2019

August in Review...

August was quite the month and I'm not sad to see it come to an end. It was too hot and I'm quite happy to see some cooler temperatures.  


Sewing

Mostly practical and simple sewing projects that included some items made to order and that were gifted. Nothing too challenging although I have been thinking about a more challenging sewing project. I'll need a staple gun.  


My lipstick print armchair and ottoman are starting to show some wear-and-tear. Okay, I'll admit, I didn't make the wisest fabric choice when I had these upholstered. I picked a cotton twill just because I was smitten over the print.

 
I do have a more appropriate fabric this time around, a sturdy upholstery fabric. And I'll be trading the lipsticks for scooters. With all this talk about recession, trade disputes and austerity measures in the news, I've decided to try to tackle this project on my own. But here's the thing, I've never upholstered anything before.  Have you?  
The chair is way out of my comfort zone and skill level but the ottoman I think I can manage. I'm going to take the scooter fabric and create a slip cover and staple it to the bottom of the ottoman.  It should work in theory, right?  Anyone have some words of wisdom that would like to share, links to tutorials, anything? I'll be open to any guidance and advice.  

Other than having a potential upholstery project floating around in my head, I've been thinking that the time has come to sew those jeans I've been talking about for months and months now.  


I now have a copy of Vogue 1644 and there is some white denim in the stash that I'm going to use as my toile fabric. Big plans in the upcoming weeks.  


Happy Sewing!


3 comments:

  1. I've been stalling on an upholstery project myself-slipcovering a wingback chair. I've gotten the Craftsy (Blue Print) class, made the pattern pieces and nothing more for months. Time to get crackin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a chair that could use some love also. A suggestion on staple guns - get a "forward action" type like the Arrow Powershot. It's much easier to use with one hand while holding the fabric with the other. It doesn't bounce nearly as much, and you can use it in areas that don't provide support for the whole stapler. And if you go with a power one - don't cheap out - unjamming every few staples will cost way more in frustration, headaches, and time wasting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey does simple re-upholstery for me. I doubt he would tackle anything as complicated as your chair.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...