Friday 31 May 2019

May in Review

Sewing wise, May was all about tops.  


I did end up finishing up a project, the flannel pajama top, I cut out approximately six months ago and then some items that have been on my want-to-make list.  Basic pieces, nothing fancy compared to other sewing blogs highlighting all the prom, formal and wedding wear this month.  My life is not that fancy.  


Me-Made-May 2019

Another year of Me-Made-May activities have come to an end.   I started the month with taking flat-lay photos and reflecting on my fabric choices.  And even though I stopped taking photos half way through, I made a few observations.  
  1. Taking me-made photos every day can get quite tiresome.  
  2. Especially if there are outfit changes.  
  3. Or coffee stains after getting dressed.  
  4. I prefer natural fabrics like wool, silk, cotton and linen.  
  5. Sometimes man-made fibres enter my wardrobe but they are not the fabrics that I find most comfortable or that they make me feel amazing wearing them.  Sadly, they creep into fabrics as blends.   
  6. It didn't feel like I was wearing newer makes.  
  7. I then realized that over the past year more than fifty percent of the garments I made were gifted to others.  
  8. My sewing behaviour has changed in that I seem to find mending more rewarding than I did in the past. 
  9. Say what?  
  10. Yup, I said it.  Perhaps, it's the realization that good quality fabrics are becoming harder to come by? 
  11. I kept my fabric shopping hobby addiction under control.  
  12. Could be that I haven't been able to find natural fibre fabrics that have sparked overwhelming joy?  
  13. Or that I can't get over the $50+ / metre price tag of 100% linen.  
  14. That's Canadian dollars.  
  15. Yikes!   
In the end, Me-Made-May emphasized that I wear me-made items everyday in some form or another and that at least 50% of my clothing choices fall under this category. 

What's Next?  

I'm thinking about stitching up some shirtdresses.  

And this vintage Betty Jackson shirtdress came into the collection as well.  


First, I need to get this project done.  It's all cut out and ready to sew.  


I still haven't got around to sewing a pair of jeans that I've been talking about sewing.  I don't see that happening this month.  Instead, I have plans for more gift sewing and I would really like to sew a sleeve cover for my laptop.  It all seems so ambitious.  Time will tell how much I actually get done.  How about you, any upcoming sewing plans?  

Happy Sewing!  

3 comments:

  1. If you'd like to buy some linen fabric that's not $50/meter, try https://purelinenenvy.ca/ or https://fabricville.com/en/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=3&q=linen
    Watch out for the linen/cotton fabric from Fabricville, though. I bought a piece and cannot, for the life of me, get it to soften up. Last year, I bought a buy one/get two free piece of linen from Fabricville and it's so incredibly soft. Wish I'd bought more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing these resources. I have my eye on the terracotta linen over at purelinenenvy.ca Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this article. Fabrics World USA Offer you every products in good price and Best Quality guarantee.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...