Thursday 2 May 2019

Day 2: Me-Made-May '19

Today, Thursday, May 2, 2019, is a chilly start to the day.  The fog looked beautiful from the warmth of the indoors but the zero temperature called for some strategy. With the temperatures expected to hit double digits layers is the key to dressing.


Fifty-five percent of my garments (includes the handbag) were me-made.  A total of six pieces (out of eleven).

I pulled out these wool pants, OOP Vogue 1325, created almost five years ago!  They still look new.  It's made with 100% British wool and I couldn't be more thrilled with how well these pants have held up over the years. If I could afford to have a complete wardrobe made out of wool I would and these pants work for all seasons.  

I could sing the praises for wool fabric All. Day. Long. Wool has anti-bacterial properties that means it requires less frequent washing and at a lower temperature.  Win. Win, when it comes to the impact on the environment and exending it's life span. 

This sweater, Simplicity 8529, is a recent addition to the wardrobe.  I made this one five months ago when I realized that I didn't have enough fabric to make Vogue 9330.  I have no idea what the fibre content of this fabric is made up of except it was found on the wool table of the local fabric store. And the table was filled with wool like bolts as well. I believe this is a faux wool because it didn't shrink a fraction of a millimetre. But it's warm and it's not pilling like a polyester. Actually, it hasn't pilled at all.  [knock on wood]  Hmmm, I'm stumped on this one.  

All I know is that it's warm and cozy and perfect for the morning chill that I had to walk into. 

My handbag is me-made!  I don't typically sew accessories but when I found out that a local fabric store was carrying cork fabric I was intrigued.  The handbag is made with McCall's 7851 and it's just a couple months old.

Just like wool I can sing the praises of cork fabric All. Day. Long!  This fabric scores high on the sustainability metre and is created with cork bark.  The best part is how light-weight this bag is and it just a little bit of extra kindness to my back.  The lining fabric is a 100% cotton canvas and the handles are suede.  All natural fabrics.  

And cotton undies for added comfort.  These are made with Simplicity 8229 back in 2017.  And they have held up well considering that they are almost two year old.  I'm really happy with this fabric choice and I do plan on revisiting this project soon.  

My sleepwear is the same as yesterday except for a change of undies and socks. If I could only have stayed in my pajamas all day I would have been happy. But life happens and sometimes it's frowned upon to go venture out in pjs.  

There were some ready-to-wear pieces that were thrown into the mix (socks, undergarments and a suede jacket).  I should have grabbed a pair of gloves this morning but I didn't expect it to be that nippy outside.  

Reflecting on my clothing choices I feel good about all of these pieces.  For the most part, I was mindful of the fabric choices that I made and it worked out. They have paid for themselves in the end and still look good. They are all pieces that I want to wear regardless of their age and how long they have been in the wardrobe.  


Happy Sewing!


  



No comments:

Post a Comment

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...