Sunday 3 March 2019

Vintage Kwik Sew 941

This weekend's second hand store find is a vintage sewing pattern loaded with nostalgic feeling. It's stamped Janome Sewing Centre The Sewing Gallery.  It is with fond memories that I recall this establishment with a business model that is unheard and unseen today.  More than a quarter century ago, I purchased a sewing machine from this shop without a credit card and the full amount of cash needed for the purchase.  Seriously, not kidding and this is not fiction.  It was back-in-the-day when people were trusted on their word and cheques were accepted.  I paid for my first Janome sewing machine with post-dated cheques and was able to take my purchase home and start sewing.  I even remember the store owner offering to drive me home so that I didn't have to transport my heavy purchase on the bus.  It seems like a life-time ago.  Maybe because it's an unheard act of kindness found in today's marketplace.  I often find myself thinking about the elderly couple who sold the business and moved onto retirement.  They are often fondly remembered by their past customers in the local community for their kindness and knowledge freely shared.  


The pattern brings back memories as well. I guess you're of a certain age or someone who appreciates and wears clothing from a certain era to recall and appreciate the wearing of slips. Patterns like these are often dismissed to the "loungewear" section of a sewing book or website as more dresses are designed to be lined in order to eliminate the need for a slip. The last revival of the slip came in the 1990s with grunge music icon Courtney Love appeared in a slip dress at the Vanity Fair Oscar party. Kicking off a whole new round of inner wear becoming outwear. This is not another revival.   


It's a slip to be gifted for someone who doesn't wear lined dresses. There are still people out there appreciative of the functional aspects of a garment that mediates between wearers outer and under layers of clothing.  

The Pattern

The pattern isn't marked with a date stamp. However, the illustration does suggest that this pattern appeared on the scene in the 1970s based on the camisole style, side slit and Farrah Facet hairstyle on the model illustrations. I will have to add that Kwik Sew patterns were ahead of their time in offering multi-sized patterns when other major companies from this era where offering single sized patterns. 

The pattern has stood the test of time as it's produced on heavier paper stock than those currently found on the market by the big four pattern companies. Independent pattern companies excluded. This is a pattern that is ideally weighed down rather than pinned during the cutting process.  

I'm impressed with the detail instructions and suggestions for turning over the straps and treatment of the elastic at the top edge of the back. You don't often find these in today's patterns. I did use some modern-day techniques in the construction. Instead of finishing the hem with a side slit and lace, I used Knit-N-Stable tape at the hem. This version was cut 5 1/2" shorter and then an one inch hem.   

The Stats

Fabric:   2.4 metres

Lace:  1.5 metres

Elastic:  0.5 metres

Interfacing:  2.4 metres of Knit-N-Stable fusible 

Pattern:  Kwik Sew 941

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, clapper and collar board for weights, thread clippers, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, tweezers, threads, pins, pin cushion and an audio book playing in the background.

  

2 comments:

  1. Slips or petticoats as I call them still have a place in my wardrobe when dresses or skirts are on the sheer side or it is cool and I need extra warmth. I am a dedicated lover of Kwik Sew patterns and purchase them when I find them in op shops. You are lucky to have this one but it does seem to use a lot of interfacing - does the whole slip have to have it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah re reading your post I understand the fusible is the the hem. I dont have this product downunder. Sorry for my confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...