Sunday 10 March 2019

Sweatshirt Knit Jacket: Butterick 6495

To actually label this fabric as a sweatshirt knit doesn't do it justice.  This fabric is beautiful, light-weight, incredibly soft and oh-so-cozy.  Add a polar bear and mountain print just takes it over-the-top.  


The fabric was teamed up with Butterick 6495 even though sweatshirt fleece wasn't listed as one of the fabric recommendations.  The soft and light-weight nature of this cotton fabric made it an ideal match.  And the pattern was simple enough in its design that it was the perfect canvas for this print.  


The Butterick 6495 jacket is described as "very loose-fitting" but I think I wouldn't go that far. Let's say that it's comfortable in its fit. If I were to style this with a belt as seen in one of the pattern envelope photographs it would certainly be uncomfortably stretched across my body and appear fitted. It actually fits like the central photograph, open without the bands meeting.  


No serious complaints on the fit but I will certainly keep a few things in mind. 
  1.  Cut the armhole and sleeve cap as a smaller size.
  2.  Cut the sides a size larger, maybe even an extra large as I do like a little more ease in the hip area.  
  3.  Shorten the sleeve length an additional inch.  
  4.  Add pockets.  I will actually take this back to workspace and add patch pockets before it moves into the closet.  
The pattern for the jacket is well drafted.  I can't really give an honest review on the instructions as I didn't find any need to look at them.  I did notice the illustration showed a fitted sleeve and I opted for a flat-fitted sleeve instead. It's a very basic design with only four pattern pieces. It's easy to figure it out.  This will be an excellent project for a beginner who would like to build their confidence sewing knits.  

I used Knit-N-Stable tape at the sleeve and bottom hemlines. The entire project was sewn with the lightening bolt stitch and with a walking foot.  These are my favourite knit fabric sewing techniques that I will share.  The hems were top-stitched with the lightening bolt stitch.  

The Stats

Fabric:  2 metres

Interfacing:  3 metres of Knit-N-Stable tape

Pattern:  Butteric 6495

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, tailor's chalk, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, Jean-a-ma-Jig, serger, tweezers, threads, and tea.  

Happy Sewing!  
  

1 comment:

  1. I love basics that are still interesting! It looks great and like it'll be a wardrobe staple.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...