Sunday 28 May 2017

Graffiti Print Tee-shirt

I made another tee-shirt with my tried and true (TNT) Vogue 9057. This time I went with a Rayon/Lycra® blend, listed as one of the recommended fabrics on the pattern envelope.


I typically avoid rayon fabric after having too many shrinkage issues with it in the past. It's the graffiti print that convinced me otherwise. I found this fabric at the now-closed Mitchell Fabrics last year and I sat on it wondering what to make with it ever since. I was sure to pre-shrink this fabric before I cut into it since my past issues with shrinkage happened with ready-to-wear pieces. I pre-washed the fabric in the washing machine on the regular cycle and then a toss in the dryer.  I don't plan on putting it in the dryer now that is sewn, it was only to help pre-shrink the fabric.

This one is now one of my favourites tee-shirts because it drapes beautifully and this fabric on my body makes the yellow striped version look frumpy in comparison. Even Mama R likes it and there is enough left-over fabric to make her one as well. 


I made basically the same changes to the pattern as the others. I raised the neckline 1" all around and eliminated the neckline band. Instead of the neckband, I used Knit-N-Stretch™ tape around the neckline, finished the edge, turned and topstitched in place. There was an inch and a half width flared out at the side seam. 


The Stats:  

Fabric:  1.4 metres

Fusible Tape:  2.8 metres of  Knit-N-Stretch™

Pattern:  Vogue 9057

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, walking foot, cutting table, pins, scissors, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, tea break, stretching breaks, and some good tunes.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...