Thursday 17 July 2014

In Sewing News Today...

I have cut out the fashion fabric for Mama R's navy dress and jacket using her two favourite patterns, Simplicity 2372 for the dress and Vogue 8916 for the jacket.  


The fashion fabric is a navy satin crepe. I really dislike sewing this fabric. Mama R know that.  I think she gives it to me to sew just to bug me. For me, sewing satin crepe is up there with sewing curtains and table cloths. Yuck!, (yup, it is up there with my least favourite kind of sewing). I don't know how people sew bridal stuff, I couldn't do it. But I admire their talent for sewing such challenging fabric. I just have to get over it and remember who I'm sewing for, Mama R.  

I'm going to have to rearrange my sewing space so that the fabric doesn't hang over the table edge while I'm sewing. And I think I'll need to pull out the walking foot to contend with the slippery-ness of the fabric. Not looking forward to this project. Yup, not looking forward to it at all.  

So I'm procrastinating. I pulled out a sewing project that has been in my sewing drawer for more than a couple of months now.


It is Vogue 1263, the Donna Karan jacket from a few years ago. I made one version in a indigo coloured boiled wool but this new one will be a cream coloured jacket. I love the details in this jacket.

Maybe by the time I finish this project, I will have built up the courage to take on that satin crepe...

Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. Mama R is on lucky lady to have you sewing for her. Nice detour Vogue 1263, and have to agree with you be able to face that satin crepe fabric (shuddering too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 2372 at the front of my 'that's perfect for work' queue and have been referring to it in my mind as 'Mama R' in my head for months now. We may get a fashion face off at some point!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...