Wednesday, 3 July 2013

Maxi Skirt for moi

I might have mentioned this before but I'm petite and I'm okay with that because I can still wear a maxi skirt. I love that this style is in for the summer.


maxi skirt  


Web definitions
A skirt is a tube- or cone-shaped garment that hangs from the waist and covers all or part of the legs..

I picked up a maxi skirt on sale that I was drowning in for four reasons.

  1. It was deeply marked down, 
  2. the knit fabric has a beautiful drape and weight, 
  3. I wouldn't be able to pick up fabric for what the skirt was marked down at and 
  4. I can sew! Yes, I had to resew this skirt because it was in an XL. I should have snapped before pictures but take my word for it, it was huge.


First up, the skirt had a toss in the wash. That is the best part of picking up something that you don't mind if it shrinks. And then it went for a tumble in the dryer. It did shrink vertically a bit but I still had to shorten it. And there was quite a bit to take in from the side seams.

I went to work removing the elastic waistband in order to get to the side seams. I used my Marcy Tilton skirt, Vogue 8637, as a rough guideline for the alterations. The elastic waist I removed and replaced it with a smaller length but larger width elastic. The extra width on the elastic casing was enough that I didn't have to touch the hemline.

And that is how I got a maxi skirt for dirt-cheap.

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What The Fudge, Nike and Converse

I'm not going to repost the disgusting and sickening ad that has Converse shoes in the news.  If you want to read about it, here is a li...