Thursday, 7 February 2013

The Naked Truth...

The naked truth is that I have never sewn any undergarments. Yes, in all my years of sewing, not one pair. Until Sew Grateful Week!

I'm not saying that it hasn't crossed my mind, it has. Years ago I added a pattern to my stash with the intention of such a project, Kwik Sew 2028. It is no longer in my pattern stash, it found it's way to a good home. My girlish figure long behind me, I thought it was best that this pattern and I parted ways.

Well fast forward many years, I'm on this stash busting journey and I vowed to curve my RTW appetite. Oh wait, I actually said I would stop buying RTW. Including undergarments. I figure it is about time that I try my hand at sewing undergarments. I have everything I need in my sewing stash. I have no excuses.

Since I also vowed not to purchase any new patterns this year and I'm feeling a wee bit guilty about last week's fail, I'll have to pass on the oh-so-retro Betty High Waist Panties by Ohhh Lulu... ~sigh, what was I thinking? It is such a pretty pattern.

Luckily, there are several free patterns on line. It is a starting point. I also have a well fitting comfortable pair of undies that I can also use as a guide.

Yes, this is my project for Sew Grateful Project Day!


For my pair of undies I used the free downloadable pattern from Birgitte over at indiorchid. You must check out her post where you will find a rich source of information to help sew your own undergarments including a look at elastics. Thanks Birgitte!

Seriously, I am sew grateful for all the information and free pattern you have posted.

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #8

Fabric Used:  0.26 metres of cotton knit. This fabric has been in my stash for years.

Elastic Used:  1.7 metres of underwear elastic. Yes, I found this in my stash. Funny thing is that I don't remember when I bought these elastics. Perhaps, when I picked up that Kwik Sew pattern.  

I have a new pair of undies and I couldn't be more thrilled. I have to tell you that it was easier to sew than I thought it would be. Cutting out the pattern and the fabric were a piece of cake.

Then I questioned what I was up to when I pinned the crotch gussets in place. It looked crazy.

After a bit of stitching and flipping and little more stitching, I have my first pair of me-made undies.





















Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. Well done on your underwear! Thanks for the link to the pattern - looks like a great way to use up knit fabric scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and your welcome. It is a great pattern that I plan to use again.

      Delete

In Sewing News Today...

I forgot how happy french seams make me. Giddy happy. I'm currently working on Vogue 1503 which has french seams and a pieced front. I...