Saturday 20 May 2017

In Sewing News Today...

I got out of the house today despite dealing with pain in my back. It kept me from the sewing room but I did make it out for some grosgrain ribbon for those Vogue 8887 pants that are taking me forever to get to. I grabbed my pattern envelope thinking that I could reference it when I got to the store as to how much ribbon I'll need and that didn't quite work out as planned. OOP Vogue 8887 pattern envelope instructs you to see the instruction sheets for notions! Really, Vogue? I'm sure in the space it took to write that, Vogue's technical writers could have easily listed how much grosgrain ribbon we need to pick up. With the pattern instruction sheets on the cutting table at home and Vogue 8887 being an out-of-print pattern, I just had to guesstimate the yardage. Next time, I'll make a list.  

Sewing wasn't in the cards today, maybe tomorrow. But while I was out, I stumbled across some vintage sewing books. 

 
They are Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences books from the 1930s. The three that I have are Pattern Designing, Principles of Tailoring, and Dressmaking Trimming Finishing and they are a treasure of information. I can't wait to explore the written words of wisdom and pour over the vintage illustrations. 

In other sewing news, today was the final day that Mitchell Fabrics would be open to the public and I couldn't bare to walk in there and see all those bare walls. ~sigh~ I'm going to miss that place. The last time I was there, a few weeks ago, the basement was completely emptied and most of the main floor was filled with a lot of empty tables. 


It is sad to see and read about so many fabric stores closing not only here but other places as well. And yeah, I know we can always buy fabric and supplies online but it's not the same. On my last visit there I picked up the last bit of an animal print linen that is enough to make an off-the-shoulder top. I can honestly say that if I didn't run my fingers through that linen fabric, I don't think I would have been tempted by just looking at an online photo of it. I'm really going to miss that place. But I'm really happy that I got to experience shopping at such a wonderful fabric store.  

Well, that is all in sewing news today... 

Happy Sewing!  





 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry the store is closing. I have very limited options in my small town area, too and rely on internet a lot. Great score with the books though.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...