Monday 5 October 2015

Pressing and Ironing

One of my least favourite chores has to be ironing. It has been a life-long dislike that jeopardized my Home Economics mark back-in-the-day. You see back then I didn't realize the difference between ironing and pressing--other than it uses the same tools which I just thought it couldn't be good thing.

{Source}
  
I still don't like ironing yet that is how I spent my free time this evening, ironing trying to iron twelve metres of pre-washed fabric for the angel costumes. I couldn't do it. 


I'm done for the evening, maybe tomorrow I'll try to do the rest. I might have to pick up wine to finish the job (just kidding). Ironing this much at once amplifies the tediousness of the task that just just seems never-ending. Yet I don't mind pressing as much as I do ironing.  

Pressing while I sew, I don't find tedious. It is actually a welcome break to get up, stretch, and walk over to the ironing board. Pressing, unlike ironing, I find to be part of the creative process. I wonder why I see ironing in the same light.  

Yet there are those who enjoy ironing. Maybe I need to take up mindful meditation during my marathon ironing sessions? Find the beauty in the hissing sound of the iron, the smoothness of the iron as it glides back and forth over the nubbly twill surface of the cotton fabric.  

Or I could just pick up some wine. We'll just have to wait and see what tomorrow will bring.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. Record some TV shows and watch them during ironing and the best part is, you can stop and flip past the commercials...before you know it, you will be done and so happy to see programs without those nasty interruptions. It works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching The Voice on Monday evening while ironing and the ironing sucked all the enjoyment out of my television watching experience. Lol, I should admit that I'm not a huge tv watcher but I think you might be on the right track. Maybe I need to distract myself with a pod-cast, music, or audio book. I still have to get this done--yesterday I came home, made dinner and passed out on the couch. I think it was all that ironing--it's exhausting! Well, fingers crossed that it will get done this evening after work.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...