Yes, this has turned into Mama's new favourite dress pattern. She has already asked for another as soon as I add patch pockets to this one.
I made this dress with Butterick 6182 which is the same pattern that I used for this top. This is a quick and easy make with a lovely front bust dart detail from the centre front seam.
Mama R did request some design changes though
- additional ease under the bust line towards the hemline
- an invisible zipper in the back
- add patch pockets
- 1 1/2" instead of 1 1/4" hem.
Minor changes. The best part of this pattern is how happy she is with the fit. The dress does not require a zipper to get it on and off. Mama R just finds it easier to get out of a dress if she's able to unzip it rather than pull it over her head.
It is a 100% cotton fabric that has been in my stash for a few years. It is a perfect weight and fabric for this hot summer weather. It was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine, dryer and steam pressing. It handled all pre-treatments very well.
Fabric: 2.7 metres $14.64 ($16.00 - 70% + taxes)
Zipper: 22" invisible zipper $2.20 ($3.90 - 50% + taxes)
Needle: sewing machine needle $0.76 ($5.40 / package of 4 - 50% off + taxes)
Thread: $3.00 (in consideration of thread used in the serger and on the sewing machine)
Pattern: Butterick 6182 (pattern has already priced out in previous makes)