Wednesday 6 March 2024

The Golden Age of the Dress

 


Once upon a time, I often wore dresses.  A dress was my go-to piece of clothing, even for cycling.  Those days were many moons ago, what feels like a life-time ago.  


In 2023, I only managed to sew myself three dresses as my wardrobe choices shifted in another direction.  Pajama sets, pull-on pants and t-shirts ruled my 2023 wardrobe.  Of the three dresses made last year, one has been donated, another has been worn only once and one is waiting for warmer temperatures.  

And yet, on the sewing table is another dress project.  This project is all about nostalgic sewing and a longing for the golden age of the dress patterns when designers like Teal Traina, Sybil Connolly, Nina Ricci and  Diane Von Furstenberg ruled.  Sure, I do admire and enjoy sewing modern dress patterns, insert any Tilton designer dress here.  

Today, at the sewing table I'm relishing in the vintage sewing techniques and slowing down to hand baste strips of seam binding to the interior pieces on Vogue 2000, the DVF wrap dress reissued pattern.  It has vintage details and sewing techniques unseen in most current sewing patterns that elevated a design into the golden age category.  So today, on National Dress Day, I'm nostalgic for vintage sewing techniques that elevate an everyday dress towards next level special.  

Happy National Dress Day!  


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your DVF. The original is so classy and as much as we imitate it, anything else just is not the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is half way done, if I can find some time today [fingers crossed] maybe there will be a reveal.

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...