Sunday 31 December 2023

Year in Review...

January


The year began with speculation if 2023 would become the year that Covid-19 is declared an endemic.  Hopeful speculation as it came to light that 2022 was the most deadly year for Covid in Canada.  Yet the public sphere would illustrate otherwise as many citizens ignore this January 30, 2023 Government of Canada advice, "[a]s Covid-19 activity continues and hospitalizations remain elevated in Canada, layers of prevention, including keeping up-to-date with Covid-19 vaccinations and personal protective practices remain our best approach to reduce the risk of developing severe illness and limit the burden on the health system."  Face masks, once the hottest fashion trend, are not part of the 2023 everyday wear as provincial governments drop restrictions and Covid updates are erased from newscasts.  

Sewing projects continue to reflect pandemic life and trying to avoid the public sphere as much as possible and stay healthy.  No need for dresses or going out clothes.  Most of this month's sewing were gifted.  Only a sweatshirt toile as I tried to work on an oversized sweatshirt.  


February


Global inflation continues to be found in every aspect of daily life.  Even sewing.  Dreams of a 100% cotton sweatshirt fabric are out reach when I spotted it priced at $45.00 / metre.  Looking to make something to keep me warm, I reached for a boiled wool fabric that I picked up for $5.00 / metre many moons ago for my oversized sweatshirt fabric.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out and used up all the scraps left over from other projects as well to make a second version.  God had a different plan and it was better than mine.  


March


A wrist fracture put a halt to sewing activity this month.  It actually took four weeks to detect the fracture because the x-rays were obscured with the arthritis in my hand.  I might be coming to terms that my sewing days may be numbered?  


April


As spring is fast approaching and my wrist is still in a cast, the need for pull-on clothes rages on.  But my sewing ability is limited.  Thankful that I managed to sew a pair of pull-on pants.  


May


Remember that fracture diagnosis last month, it was actually a misdiagnosis.  A CT scan confirmed that I should not have even been in a cast!  The doctor is now calling it a sprained wrist and shoulder.  Sewing is my physio as the doctor's instruction is to "work through the pain."  It's just nice to be free of the cast.  Sewing projects reflect another recent weight gain as I stopped walking while in the cast resulting in need for more ease in my clothes.  

June


Yardwork has been taking over my free time that I hoped to devote to sewing.  It's surprising there was even yardwork done along with these sewing projects!  Physio exercises also monopolized my free time.  The sprained shoulder is taking awhile to get back to pre-fall condition.  


July


Last month the weather was hot, like July hot.  But this July, the temperatures are on the much cooler side.  Early July felt like autumn was in the air and my sewing thoughts did turn to cooler-weather wear. 
   

August


Celebration was in the air this month as the sewing machine was busy stitching together two dresses for a very special occasion.  


And with some left-over fabric, I was able to refashion my "Every Child Matters" t-shirt into one that I can fit into.  

September


September sewing was motivated by sewing for others and trying to sew comfortable items to accommodate weight gain.   

October


October sewing came to a stall when the serger went in for repair.  Thankfully, there were a few items that came out of the workspace.  


November


Once upon a time, people sewed clothes before home-use sergers.  The pinking shears came to the rescue this month.  And then Covid stalled worked at the sewing work table.  


December


People need to stop saying that the latest "it" variant of Covid is "mild".  It's not.  Not for some of us.  On the positive side, I did manage to lose ten pounds while dealing with Covid and now can fit into my wool pants that I thought I would have to refashion. 

This past year, despite all the start and stops in the sewing workspace, there were 27 items made for moi and 14 items sewn for others.  There were two household items, 1 outerwear garment, 15 tops, 5 undergarments, 6 pull-on pants, 3 skirts (+ 1 refashioned), 4 dresses, 1 cardigan and 3 sleepwear pieces sewn this year.  One top and dress didn't work out and were donated.   

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...