Friday 29 December 2023

Top Five Lists: The 2023 Edition

The Top Five Sewing Bloopers


Plaid skirt with wide two-tired elastic waistband, circa September 2023.  Pattern:  The Assembly Line's Elastic Waist Maxi Skirt.  Sewing blooper:  not noticing the twisted elastic on the lower tier (oops!) until I put it on and then continued to wear it again before fixing it.  


Orange and beige dress.  Pattern:  Simplicity 9744, circa June 2023.  Sewing blooper:  The hem length was trimmed too short (oops!) and didn't feel comfortable to wear.  


Cotton pullover pleated top, circa May 2023.  Pattern:  Clochette by I AM Patterns.  Sewing blooper:  Cutting out the fabric before making a toile / muslin version first.  It is a beautiful pattern but on me the fit could be better if I just took the time to pay attention to the fit.  


Car coat, circa November 2023.  Pattern:  Out-of-print New Look 6074.  Sewing blooper:  I let this sit in an abandoned sewing project pile.  And thinking that I had all the pattern pieces cut I used the remainder of the fabric for hats and scarfs, only to realize that I did not cut out the front facing (oops!).  



Cotton knit pullover dress, circa August 2023.  Pattern:  Asymmetrical Dress by SD Patterns (an Etsy shop).  Sewing blooper:  Purchasing an on-sale PDF pattern while thinking that I could send it to a print shop.  It wasn't so, and I ended spending too much time printing and taping.    

The Top Five Sewing Room Tools 


Pinking shears.  There was some retro seam finishing done with pinking shears while the serger was in the repair shop.  


Safety pins.  There were twelve projects that needed elastic to be moved through casings.  And safety pins were more economical than investing in elastic threaders.  Twenty twenty-three was the year to make do and budget.  

A pair of table legs were a give-away item and came in handy for cutting out those large single layer pattern pieces from Butterick 6784.  


Spring hinge scissors.  I wouldn't have been able to do some sewing work while in a cast without this tool.  


Buttonhole cutter.  This little tool made the opening of the buttonhole on this coat possible.  


The Top Five Misses


These pants looked good hot off the sewing machine, but after several washes the fabric sort of lost its appeal.  Fabric can make or break a project.  I should have tested it first.  


Any tips for sewing waffle knit?  It was a sewing challenge that I did not master.  


Yeah sometimes those pieces of fabric that have been sitting folded up in the stash for decades have those fold lines that set in really good.  These pants were still worn for yard work.  


There is still some ponte knit lingering in the stash even though I vowed a few years ago to stick with natural fibre fabrics.  This didn't last long in my wardrobe.  It has zero warmth factor for a prairie winter.  


It just didn't work out.  


The Top Five Makes


Gifted pajama bottoms, out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 2372.  Circa January 2023.  


Gifted pajama top, OOP and vintage Simplicity 6851.  Circa January 2023.  


Gifted boys' Super Mario shirt, OOP and vintage Butterick 2122.  Circa September 2023.  


Gifted boy's dinosaur shirt, McCall's 6972.  Circa July 2023.  


Gifted child's dress, OOP Vogue 9072.  Circa August 2023.  


Happy Sewing!  





1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am sorry about your misses :( I love the peach/off white dress. What a shame it didn't work out. Happy New Year! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...