Monday 26 April 2021

Monday's Mending Pile: Good-bye Pajama Bottoms, Hello Refreshed Jacket!

Well, I decided to take the advice of a reader and go for it.  Thanks Laurinda!  I'm actually happier than I thought I would be with how it turned out.  


A small hole developed at the bottom front of this jacket, circa 2015.  I would like to make another one but the price of sweatshirt fleece has doubled since I made this one so that's off the sewing table. I am willing to fix this one and see if I can get another six years out of it.  


The first step was to stitch the edges of the hole together. For this task, I used silk thread as it is less prone to tangling. And the stitches wouldn't be as bulky if I opted for a poly-cotton blend or cotton thread run through some tailor's wax. 


The final step was to cover the patch job with a sewing label. This "me made" label is by Kylie and the Machine.  And now that little hole is our secret.  


And there was more work on converting the elastic on my face masks, circa 2020. I've been switching up the ear elastic to an around-the back-of-the-head style. But there was one issue, the 6 mm wide elastic was uncomfortable where it laid over the top of my ear lobe. I switched to a 3 mm wide elastic and that seems a bit more comfortable. 

I wasn't so lucky on the next item that ended up on the mending pile. It was time to say good-bye to my first pair of me-made pajama bottoms, circa 2017.  Then again, 2020 was the year of living in pajamas during the lockdowns and they did see a lot of use even in the daytime hours. 


The less worn and frayed parts were cut down for rags and I was able to recycle the elastic. I am going to re-use the elastic for a replacement pair in a navy cotton that I have in the stash. It will go well with the pajama top, circa 2017, which is still in good condition.  

Well, on that note, I should get to work cutting out the new bottoms. 

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. Great progress. I've had to make a new pair of PJ bottoms as so many have worn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great save on the jacket. For the back of the head elastic, I use strips of ITY knit cut so they loop. I've found them far more comfortable than any of the elastics out there and readily available in my scrap pile.

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...