Tuesday 2 March 2021

Unexpected Pandemic Sewing: Chess Board Mats

Thank goodness for a fabric stash! This heavy weight canvas was gifted to me many moons ago and it couldn't have been more perfect for this project.  


I'm trying to work out in my mind an idea to see if a chess club is even possible during a pandemic.  If I have a shield between two players lifted above a chess board the question remains, how do the players move their pieces during the game?  

That's where the idea for a chess board mat came to be. At first, I thought to make it smaller with handles at each end and the players could use the handles to move the chess board to their side of the shield to make their move.   


But then there's the issue that I'm not all that fond of ironing. So I thought, why can't a longer mat work, like a table runner? It would still be possible to move the chess board and I wouldn't have to iron, top-stitch and sew on all those handles.  

So, that's what I did, made a chess board runner / mat by finishing the cut edges with the serger. Off to bounce the idea off some co-workers and see what they think.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  

1 comment:

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...