One of the out-comes from the pandemic has been an increased desire to take care of the clothes that I have and a diminished resistance to mending.
I made this skirt, vintage McCall's 7870, back in 2014. It wasn't worn last year because it was buried in the mending pile. The stress on the top of the double kick pleat caused the fabric to tear. All it needed was a piece of suede, basting tape and a few minutes at the sewing machine. Which begs the question, what took so long to fix it?
Another consequence of the pandemic has been the pounds that I managed to put on without noticing until the stress on the bottom of the zipper was too much to take. A small section of stitching fixed that in no time. It might take more effort to fix the weight gain issue to prevent further seam breakage. I might have to put aside this skirt until then.
The armscye of this sweater needed some attention to close gaps along the seam line. It's a ready-to-wear (RTW) decades old cotton sweater. I'm coming to the realization that I might have to try and recreate it one day soon.
A little hand-stitching for this shirt to close the openings that have recently appeared along the neck band. I know it would last longer if I just top-stitch it close, but I do like the clean look of a hand-stitched neckband.
Stay Safe, Be Kind and Happy Mending!