Sunday 16 September 2018

Butterick 6509: Fancy Pants Fall Jacket, Coat, or is it a Bathrobe?

Butterick 6509 See & Sew pattern is a very easy jacket, only three pattern pieces. I picked up this pattern for the short jacket but then lengthened the long one to make myself a fall jacket coat. 


The longer jacket on the pattern envelope appears looser or at least A-shaped on the model. This is not the case. Although it has very generous ease at the bust and waist, it is not as generous at the hips. And that hood is huge!  It actually reminds me of the hood shape from a bathrobe I made back-in-the-day. Come to think about it, that hood may have been smaller than this one.  


All of this works for layering now that the cooler weather is on its way. 

The outer fabric is a silk that I found in the home décor department. The lining fabric is a striped silk duponi making this a reversible coat. I wasn't thinking of a reversible coat when I started the project, I was just looking for enough fabric that I could line it with and this is what I found in the stash.  

There were a few changes to the pattern.  As mentioned, it was lengthened.  I added five inches to the length.  The side seams were reduced to 3/8" to give me some more ease around the hips.  And the hem at the sleeves were also reduced to 3/8" as I was limited to a size small length sleeve based on my fabric width.  

The Stats:  

Fabric:  4.5 metres

PatternButterick 8509

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, tailor's chalk, silk thread for basting, polyester thread for the sewing machine and serger, sewing machine, walking foot, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, clapper, hand sewing needle, thimble, and a bandage for pricked fingers.  

Happy Sewing! 


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I must remember to check out the home décor area the next time I am shopping for fabric.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...