Monday, 26 March 2018

Revisiting Vogue 1567

I made the skirt from Vogue 1567 a couple of months ago and to be completely honest, it's one of my favourite makes this year. So, would it surprise you if I made another version of this distinct style?


Please excuse the photo, it's pinned to my mannequin and instead of showcasing the beautiful pockets, it looks like a bustle in the back.  



Paco Peralta's design is quite unique with that side drape actually hiding the most fantastic and generously-sized pockets. Seriously, I can carry my lunch and a thermos in these pockets and still have room for my wallet and cell phone.

The pattern is easy to put together, in theory. The first came together quickly and easily, without any issues. This one, not so much. There was a lot of seam ripping involved as I was making mistakes left, right and centre.  

The waistline on the skirt pattern is a little smaller than my actual waistline and like the version before I had to add some more ease. But this time my mathematical calculations were way off and I ended up with a enormous amount of ease. Add to that, I didn't follow the pattern instructions too closely this time and ended up sewing the zipper before I stitched in the waistband. Yet my math was right on the waistband. So I didn't actually discover the error of my ways prior to sewing the zipper. Oy, what a mess!  

And the night before, I stitched one pocket right sides together and the other pocket wrong sides together and didn't realize that mistake until after it was serged and laid out on the table. How this skirt came to completion, I have no idea. It must have been sheer determination. Oh no wait! I was motivated to keep seam ripping by the beautiful British wool that I have cut out. It was too precious and in these parts too rare to even imagine giving up. So, the seam ripping continued.  

I cut four inches, yes four inches!, from the centre back seam. Ideally, if I did the mathematical calculations correctly from the start, the ease would have be eventually divided between the front and back pieces. Instead, the ease ended up being located at the centre front.


Not perfect, but at least it was on it's way to being wearable. I then removed the invisible zipper, took a deep breath and continued working on the skirt. And this is how it turned out.  



Fabric:  3 metres 100% wool

Interfacing:  1 metre light-weight fusible

Zipper:  55 cm invisible zipper cut down to the required size

Pattern:  Vogue 1567

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, thread clippers, pinking shears, sewing machine, invisible zipper foot, zipper foot serger, thread, iron, ironing board, clapper, seam ripper, hand needle, tweezers, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, and two-faced basting tape. I should have had some coffee.  

Happy Sewing!






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

One More: Vogue 1455

Really, I just can't get over this dress pattern. It is one more reversible pullover dress with ribbon front ties.   Happy Sewin...