Monday 4 December 2017

Make Something Week: Up-Cycled Top

I am a maker who is participating in Make Something Week (December 2 to 10th) hosted by Greenpeace and Fashion Revolution. 
A maker is someone who transforms things she already owns into something new by sharing, up-cycling swapping, repairing, and creating.  Make something celebrates creative, resourceful and social people that enjoy the experience of making something new out of their old things for the people we love.  
My second entry for this week is a top that I saved from being donated. Or worse ending up in the trash.

Prior to the transformation:


Back-in-the day when I bought RTW clothes (and was a lot slimmer), this tee-shirt make it into my wardrobe. Actually, two of them came home with me. They're from the Kate Spade Saturday line and they were a deal. But that wasn't the reason why I picked up two, it was the quality of cotton fabric, it's beautiful and beefy, unlike the fabric used in t-shirt found in the stores today. I shortened one of them and kept the other as a back-up. But sadly, this one shrank and the other was snug, unlike back-in-the-day when I first purchased these.  


It came to the point that I had to decide if I were going to donate both of them or try to save one. I decided on trying to save one. 


So, I opened the sides all the way up to the sleeves and then cut a gusset from the other tee-shirt.  



And believe it or not, I can now breathe when I wear it. Being a maker is a good thing.   

  

I know not everyone will have two of something but this fix can be done with a contrasting fabric as well to add a fun colour blocked feature.

Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. That is so cute with the gusset. You not only upcycled, but you made it more current. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. I'm really happy that I was able to save it.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...