Friday, 22 September 2017

With Some Focus, Careful Measurements, and Coffee...

I was able to grade a pattern.


This is the first time that I have actually sat down and tried to grade a pattern by hand. It's a big deal to me. This just might open up a whole world of possibilities. But before I get ahead of myself. I used two different methods. First, I tried the shifting method. The promise is that "this is simpler, quicker, and quite as accurate as the [marking and slashing method] (Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences, 17)." But it came with a warning that "the beginner will do well to master the [marking-and-slashing method] before taking up [the shifting method]." 


I have to agree. The marking-and-slashing method was certainly more time consuming but I have to admit that I felt more confident doing this method over the shifting method.  I found that my side seam and shoulder seam were off by an 1/16" to 1/8" when I did the shifting method, where I didn't have any issues when I did the marking-and-slashing method. 


I was most worried about how the sleeves would turn out on the marking-and-slashing method but they fit perfectly. That has made this little vintage Pattern Designing book a treasured item in my workspace.  


All that is left is to have these muslins fitted. Fingers are crossed they work out.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

One More: Vogue 1455

Really, I just can't get over this dress pattern. It is one more reversible pullover dress with ribbon front ties.   Happy Sewin...