Sunday, 6 August 2017

Out of Necessity Came a Good Idea

I don't know why I didn't organize my fabric stash like this in the beginning, I never thought of it until I lost a couple of treasures.  


I've lost this piece of fabric. No clue where it can be, yet. I'm still searching. I just know that it is lost in that sewing space that could use some serious organization. 


The final straw came when I couldn't locate this wool fabric that I had in mind for Tessuti's Kyoto Vest pattern. The wool binding I've been swooning over is currently on sale at Fabricland so I picked some up. Excited at the prospect of sewing this project, I went searching for the fabric I had in mind. Of course, I couldn't find it until I started tidying up and many hours later.  

Marie Kondo doesn't have a chapter on organizing fabric in her New York Times Best Seller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Which leads me to consider that there might be a best seller if one of us could leave our sewing spaces and write a book dedicated to organizing sewing spaces.  But I digress... 

I put my pinking shears and stapler to good use and started clipping a small piece of each fabric and started to document the what and where of my fabric stash.  


I knew I had a big fabric stash, I just didn't realize how big until I started measuring and listing it on sheets of paper.  


It feels great to have this documented and to be able to quickly find where I have stored it without dragging out and searching bins, uncertain if it were actually there. Another bonus is how much easier it will be to consider a fabric from the stash for a project. I am really hoping that this organizational binder of my fabric will help with the fabric fast. Fingers crossed.  

Now, if I can just find that yellow and white silk fabric.  

Happy Sewing!   



8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea. I might have to try to document at least part of my massive stash! It would definitely be a timesaver (and sanity preserver) in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reaching for the wool fabric, would you believe it was in one of the bins I looked in more than once? I didn't notice it until I dumped out the contents to start the recording process. ~sigh~ and laughter. I'm hoping this will be a sanity saver for me as well.

      Delete
  2. I cut dozens and dozens of fabric swatches and never did anything with them. I think it's great if you can catalog them and stay on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cataloging all of it is going to take some time for sure but I think it will be worth it because seeing the collection of fabric that I've accumulated there in the binder is making me feel guilty at the thought of going to a fabric store.

      Delete
  3. hmmmmm. But where's the book for trims, accessories, and notions??? I have darn near every doo dad contraption specialty whatever known to the sewing world stashed SOMEWHERE, but I think I'm hitting about 50% finding it when I want it. I just forget most of the fabric I buy so that hasn't bothered me so much as of yet. I'm just delighted when I browse, or go buy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, let me finish this binder first! I've managed to save those Roche chocolate plastic containers at Christmas that I use to store my thread collection. It's see through and easy to see what I have or need. But I really could use a system for organizing my zippers. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  4. I have a catalog of all my fabrics similar to yours but I don't list where they are. Maybe I should add that as well now that I'm up to 3 totes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that documenting where I pick a certain fabric will free up more time for actual sewing instead of searching!

      Delete

In Sewing News Today...

Today marks the end of Make Something Week hosted by Greenpeace and Fashion Revolution. I love that it was held in December, when consumeri...