Sewing for Mama R brought back my sewing mojo. I'm so thrilled with how this turned out.
If you're having a moment of déjà vu don't be alarmed, it's another dress made with trusty Simplicity 2372. Hmm, maybe it's sewing something familiar that sparked my sewing mojo?
Back to the dress, my favourite part of this dress is the patched pockets, they're lined. I haven't typically lined most of her pockets in the past. I should though, they feel wonderful and give the pockets a neater look. Besides adding lined patched pockets, the typical changes to the pattern were made, eliminate the centre front seam, insert an invisible zipper at the centre back, lengthen the sleeves, shorten the hem length and raise the neckline.
And I made a matching jacket. This is only the second time I've made her a matching set using this pattern. No pockets on this piece. The length on the jacket was shortened by three inches and the sleeves were shortened an inch. No loop and button added and the centre back pleat was eliminated.
The best part of this outfit has to be the quality of the fabric. It is a medium weight twill weave in a 100% cotton. I found this fabric at Fabricland last year and it is currently in the discounted home decor section. It also comes in blue and orange. It was pretreated with a tumble through the wash and dryer and a good steam pressing before it hit the cutting table. It handled a pretreatment process without any issues and sewed beautifully. Would you believe that I was able to squeeze these two pieces with just over three metres of fabric.
Fabric: 3.2 metres
Interfacing: 1.2 metres of fusible interfacing
Zipper: 22" invisible zipper
Thread: polished off one spool of thread
Pattern: Simplicity 2372
Additional Tools & Supplies: Sewing machine, serger, threads for the machines and hand-stitching, needle, invisible zipper foot, regular zipper foot, blind hem foot, seam ripper, cutting table, pins, iron, ironing board, tailor's ham, sleeve ham, good tunes, lots of breaks to stretch and make tea and what not.