Sunday, 7 June 2015

McCall's 7122

Stash-busting 2015:  Maxi-Length Dress


Fabric:    3.10 metres polyester knit fabric  (to be completely honest I couldn't tell you how much I paid for this fabric)


Pattern:   McCall's 7122 $5.65 ($5.00 pattern sale + taxes)

Okay, let me start by saying I really like this dress. Seriously, I whipped this one up in an afternoon.  

The fabric has been in my stash for many, many moons. I actually put this fabric in the donate pile a long time ago. Mama R rescued it when she realized what I was up to.  She held onto to it for many years and it recently made it back to my stash.  

I thought that I would use it as a muslin test fabric but to tell you the truth I'm kind-of-all-smitten over the retro print. Who would have thought?  

The fabric reminds me of polyester fabric from by-gone days. By the way it feels you would think that I found it in the authentically retro basement section of Mitchell Fabrics. But I do remember picking this up at a bargain price when Fanny Fabrics was shutting down.

The learn to sew for fun pattern, McCall's 7122, is an easy and quick make. This is really a great pattern for beginners. It is well-drafted and the pieces fit together perfectly.  

Now, I will admit that I did make a few changes.  I cut this out in a medium and kept it close-fitting at the bust but just below the bust towards the hem I added some width to the dress to allow for more ease around the mid-section and hip area. I did this by adding a total of three inches of additional ease. And there is no side slit on this version. I'm thrilled with how it turned out.  

Happy Sewing!  








3 comments:

  1. I love the fabric and dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- this looks cool and very wearable- love it.

    ReplyDelete

In Sewing News Today...

Does it seem odd that it's late July and Vogue Patterns hasn't yet released any fall patterns? Carlos has posted some videos from t...