- 1. A respect for the time invested in quality workmanship and a critical perspective of store bought clothing.
2. A good pair of scissors are your best friend when it comes to cutting fabric. Treat them with respect, keep your fabric scissors for fabric.
And may I suggest locking them away from those you love and want to continue to love? In prevention of unwittingly having a good pair of fabric scissors used as a multi-purpose tool. I know... Gasp, the horror!
3. Waxing your thread before you sew on buttons will prevent your thread from becoming a tangled mess has been been one of my favourite sewing tips I've picked up.
4. I've learned what a joy it is to have a self-threading sewing machine.
5. I've learned that sewing is relaxing, especially now that I have a self-threading sewing machine. I'm kidding. It is like putting together a puzzle and I find that relaxing.
6. I learned that patience pays off and that cutting corners will only lead to sloppy work. Even though I dislike ironing, have I mentioned that before?, a few moments ironing along the way will pay off in the end. Oh, if my first sewing teacher could hear me now!