Saturday 6 April 2019

Seeing Double: McCall's 7851

I made another cork handbag revisiting McCall's 7851. This one is for someone else. I hope they like it.  


The one difference is found in the handle. Instead of purchasing a piece of pre-packaged and cut suede leather from the fabric store that I have to piece together. I went shopping for leather at the second hand store and found a men's leather jacket that worked out amazingly well and I was able to cut out the length needed with no problem and piecing.  I should mention that I made a mistake on the first one and the back, longer strap is actually half the size that it was intended to be, oops. The pattern piece was meant to be cut on the fold. I didn't do it here as well as the person requesting this one wanted it just as the first was made.  


The fabrics are the same as the previous version, cork fabric with a cotton backing and the lining fabric is a canvas weight that was interfaced.  


The Stats:  

Fabric:  0.6 metres of cork fabric, 0.6 metres of canvas, 0.4 metres of contrast fabric

Interfacing:  0.6 metres of fusible interfacing

Basting tape:  0.10 metres double sided tape

Pattern:  McCall's 7851, circa 2018.  

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, clothes pins, sewing machine, walking foot, scissors, thread clippers, heavy weight thread and a leather sewing machine needle.  

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...