Sunday 28 April 2019

Rescue Sewing

Do you remember this?


This is BurdaStyle 6321 and I made it last month.  I haven't worn it since.  I tried it on a few times and then after some fiddling and critiquing, it quickly came off.  It just didn't make me feel good while wearing it. The more I fussed with it, the more I realized it wasn't my style really.  There were some things that I did like about it, the double breasted look and pockets.  The fit above the waistline was not my favourite nor was it doing anything for my petite body shape.  So I decided that it would either end up in the donate or rescue pile.  Considering that it was Fashion Revolution week, donating another garment that may or may not find a new home just didn't sit well with my conscious.  


This is all about rescue sewing.  I started by laying it out on the table and cutting at the position of the first functioning button and buttonhole.  Trying it on reveals that it is too loose at the waistline to sew a waistband.  And I struggled to decided how to treat the waistband.  I did have enough left-over fabric to cut a waistband but did I want the bulk?  First I had to give the skirt portion more shape.  There were two darts added to the back where the princess seam was located.  


I decided to finish the skirt with bias tape, turning over and topstitching in place. It was finished with a snap and hook & eye closure at the top.  


Now, this is something I know I will wear.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. FAANTASTIC save! You are good because I would have just been sad about it not working out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm happy it worked out because I was sad about the thought of losing the sateen fabric.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...