Friday 21 April 2017

Easing Back Into the Sewing Room With an Easy McCall's Pattern

I'll admit I was looking for an easy project and McCall's 6886 fit into my plans perfectly. The biggest challenge was deciding which knit fabric to pick from my stash. I really would like a black knit dress but I wasn't willing to cut into my piece of black knit before first trying out this pattern.  
So, this project is my wearable toile. 


I have to say that I do like this pattern. I haven't perfected the fit yet so I won't be cutting into that black knit anytime soon. For now, I have a comfortable midi-length knit dress which feels like I'm wearing a nightgown.  And goodness knows I would live in my pajamas if I could get away with it... this dress just might be the closest I come to that dream.  

There are only three pattern pieces, perfect to try and kick-start my mojo. I cut the pattern as a size 14 at the armhole, shoulders and neckline grading up to the largest size at the hips. I found that I had to make a correction removing some of that width after I tried it on. I was trying to avoid the close-fit around my mid-section and hips but I over-estimated the ease I needed to add.  

I cut the full length and then shortened it by two inches and then turning it up one inch. The sleeves were cut as the three-quarter length which look like full length sleeves. The hems were finished with Knit 'N Stable tape as well as the neckline before they were turned over and top-stitched.  


The fabric has been in my stash for years. I found this piece at Northwest Fabrics and it has a good weight and thickness to it but will still be cool enough for warmer summer days. I didn't pre-treat it. My bad. Okay, I'm still trying to find my sewing mojo, pre-treating wasn't high on my priority list. I cut it with the stripes running vertically because I didn't have enough to cut it horizontally. Bet you thought I was trying to avoid matching the stripes? Well, not much else to say about this project besides the stats.


The Stats:

Fabric:  2 metres cotton / lycra knit

Knit 'N Stable tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  McCall's 6886

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, tweezers, thread, cutting table, pins, iron, ironing board, sleeve ham, and coffee.

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...