Saturday 18 April 2015

Gym Gear

Stash busting 2015:  Shorts

Fabric:    1 metre @ $9.04 ($16.00/metre - 50% + taxes)

Ribbon:   1.2 metres @ $1.08 ($1.60/metre - 50% + taxes)

Elastic:    1 metre, gift from Mama R's stash

Pattern:    McCall's 4312 (to be completely honest I can't recall how much I paid for this pattern)

This pattern has been in my stash for twelve years, uncut and neglected. I've been searching for a pattern that I could use for making gym gear but how I missed this one for this long is beyond me. Thankfully, this uncut pattern is a multi-sized pattern and included my current size. Out-of-print McCall's 4312 is from the Sewing with Nancy line by Nancy Zieman, circa 2003.  


Let's talk about the instructions for a minute. Oh-my-goodness! What a treasure throve of information. I really like the inserted boxes of sewing tips scattered throughout the instructions. I wish all patterns were made like this one. That said, this would be a great pattern for a beginner or someone like me who lost their sewing mojo. This project certainly lifted my spirits in the sewing room.  

Even though I am singing the praises of this pattern, I did change the waistband design. 


I not all that smitten about the below belly-button look with the ribbed waistband and was looking more for work-out wear instead of leisurewear. Comparing this pattern to the pants pattern in Butterick 6185, I decided to raise the waistline four and three-quarter inches. I cut these in a size L at the side seams and leg length and a medium in the crotch length. After I took in a bit at the centre back seam near the waistline, I like how the new waist fits. I think next time I'll add a couple of inches to the leg length for a longer pair of shorts that will hit the scars on my knees.   


For the waistband, I stitched a length of elastic to the wrong side and then turned it over to stitch in place. But first I added two small buttonholes just off the centre front seam.  


The twill tape has tape measure design on it representing the inches that I hope to drop with these shorts. I will admit that I didn't finish the hem except for serging and leaving it. 


The fabric has been in my stash since last year when I stumbled across it in the discounted section. It is a 20% polyester and 80% cotton blend that shrunk a crazy amount when I pre-washed it, both in the width and length. I thought there might be enough for pants and a jacket when I first picked up this fabric but now I'm not so sure. Another pair of shorts for sure!

How does it compare?

RTW Ladies gym shorts.

Retail price:  $44.95 (AU) on sale for $34.95

My version:  $10.12

Happy Sewing!  




2 comments:

  1. They look very nice! Love the waistband treatment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're going through at test-run at the gym later this morning.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...