Saturday 2 November 2013

Who is this Sybil Connolly of Dublin?

Who is this Sybil Connolly of Dublin?

To be completely honest until a couple of months ago I knew nothing of Sybil Connolly. I find this shocking since I am an avid Vogue pattern sewer and love vintage patterns. And she is someone who designed for Vogue Couturier Design line of patterns. How could I have missed this talent all these years?  

I only recently discovered Sybil Connolly's designs when shopping over at Etsy. I stumbled across Vogue 2103, circa 1969, and immediately fell for this A-lined dress pattern. The pattern description does not do it justice, simply stated as  "[s]emi-fitted A-line dress has front yoke gathered to shaped inset band. Short sleeves and jewel neckline." This pattern is much, much more!  

There is no mention of the dart shaping on the inside of the dress or the underlining. Details the give a garment the look and feel of quality and exquisite shaping.  

The pattern flap only hints at the details that are hiding inside the pattern envelope.
SYBIL CONNOLLY, the leader of the Irish couture, has merited widespread recognition and publicity beyond the realm of her native Ireland.  Unassuming at first glance, her clothes are famous for every design ingredient put into them . . . from their shape-minded silhouettes to their perfection of detail and proportion.  
I can't wait to get behind the sewing machine and piece this together. But there will be little details to take care of first. This will be the first dress that I underline and I have a synthetic organza that is a close match to my fashion fabric. Don't gasp, silk organza is not in the budget at this time and the synthetic organza seems like it will work nicely. [Fingers crossed.]

I'm quite excited to work on this project especially now that I have been discovering more about this designer. The dress will be part of my Tim Gunn's 10 Essential items, number two, the day dress.

What is on your sewing table?



  Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...