Sunday 27 October 2024

Creating Scoliosis Undergarments: OOP Kwik Sew 2899

There are very few sewing patterns out there for those of us that have mobility issues.  Forget finding a sewing pattern or guidance on fitting a garment for those with scoliosis even though it is estimated that scoliosis affects two to three percent of the world's population.  ~sigh~  It is moments like these that I'm thankful for the skills, equipment and fabric stash to sew my own clothes.  So, I set to work on the next project to hit my worktable.  

This is an undershirt to be worn under my scoliosis back brace.  I made some modifications to out-of-print (OOP) Kwik Sew 2899 to help protect my underarms while working and wearing the brace.  The brace has been leaving abrasion wounds in my underarm region that take four to seven days to heal before I can even consider strapping the brace back on.  And that is with wearing a body sock that I was given to wear with the brace.  

These are photos of the brace I wear with the seamless torso body sock.  I've search online and there are other options out there.  


This one with the underarm flaps was interesting and could possibly provide the coverage I need.  But I wasn't 100% certain that it would work, I wanted sleeves.  However, I did steal some inspiration from this top.  

I added an extra layer of fabric in the underarm region.  I also stitch the seam allowances on the outside around the sleeves and sides of the top.  The shoulder seams and neck binding were sewn right sides together.  The hems were serged and left as is since this is an under the brace garment.  

OOP Kwik Sew 2899 is designed for heavyweight stretch fabrics such as heavy fleece or sweatshirt fleece.  This top is sewn in a lighter fabric, a medium weight cotton French terry.  The fabric was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the cutting table.  

Kwik Sew 2899 is a well drafted pattern.  It is the first one that I have sewn that calls for 1/4" seams and is designed as a "kwik serge" pattern.  It has dual instructions for serger (overlock) and standard sewing machines.  

I think this might work out.  I guess I won't know until I wear it to do some yardwork, that will be the final test on how well it protects my underarms.  Right now, around the house, it's comfortable while wearing it under the brace.  


Project details

Seams:  Serged

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.5 metres French terry


Pattern
:  OOP Kwik Sew 2899, view B

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, tracing paper, marker, ruler, paper scissors, fabric scissors, pins, pin cushion, Janome serger, threads, thread clippers, mini vacuum and lint brush.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creating Scoliosis Undergarments: OOP Kwik Sew 2899

There are very few sewing patterns out there for those of us that have mobility issues.  Forget finding a sewing pattern or guidance on fitt...