Sunday 31 July 2022

July in Review...

 Sewing

There were dreams of sewing a denim jacket, caftan and a wrap dress this month and then things changed after a slow start and stumbling along the way.  The wrap dress managed to be finished after many sewing bloopers and the amputation of the pockets.  And then a detour.  It wasn't my finest month in the sewing room due to sewing bloopers and fitting miscalculations.  I guess my head wasn't into it this month.  Oh sewing mojo where are you?   



Of course, I love the DVF wrap dress, out-of-print (OOP) vintage Vogue 1610, because the fit is absolutely lovely and I feel comfortable wearing this item even though I had to nix the pockets.  The DKNY flared shorts, OOP vintage Vogue 2092, need to have the crotch length shortened, something that I realized after the fabric was cut.  The short pants / culottes, OOP McCall's 6748, is my least favourite make mainly because of the fabric choice.  As a wearable toile, I won't complain. 

 

Stash-busting

This month's sewing projects were made with supplies found in the stash:  7 metres of fabric, 1 metre of elastic, 7 metres of Knit 'N Stable tape, 1 zipper, and 1 hook and eye.  There was a trip to the fabric store when I couldn't find any white Knit 'N Stable tape while sewing the wrap dress only to find my roll days later.  This lead to a re-organization of the sewing workspace and re-organization of the fabric binder.  Some fabrics were sewn and no longer in bins however not removed from the listing in the binders.  Something that was long overdue.  

I did recently add to the fabric and pattern stash.  Remember that caftan pattern I keep dreaming about sewing?  Well, it takes almost five metres of fabric and there isn't that much yardage in appropriate caftan fabric to be found in the stash.  


So, when I stumbled across an animal print satin in the discounted section at 70% off.  Well, I couldn't resist the thought of sewing something I've been dreaming about.  


Future Plans

Other than sewing Vogue 1886, I would still like to sew that denim jacket, OOP McCall's 5191 I've been talking about for many moons.  The black denim fabric has been pre-treated and is waiting for a press before hitting the cutting table.   And while re-organizing the fabric stash I found an undocumented piece of white linen that would be lovely for OOP Vogue 1204.  Both of these are from July's wish-to-sew list that I hope to finally get to in August.  Until then... 

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!  


1 comment:

  1. I love the wrap dress, and enjoy making the caftan.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...