Monday 18 July 2022

Donna Karan Flared Shorts: Vintage Vogue 2092


I made myself a pair of shorts!  

This is nostalgic sewing at the finest.  It's with fond remembrance that I gasped when I spotted vintage and out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 2092 last year on Etsy.  Back-in-the-day, way back, I had a smaller much smaller size of this pattern and I made these shorts and the wrap tops.  It was a much-loved pattern and then life happened and my size magically grew.  Okay, there might have been some cookies doing it's damage magic to my waistline along that journey but I digress...   

I'm not someone who often wears shorts.  To be completely honest, I rarely wear shorts.  But this Donna Karan design is different and with the hot and humid weather we've been having lately these are a welcome addition to the wardrobe.  These shorts are flared, and it feels like I'm wearing a hybrid skirt / shorts combination.  They have more than ample ease in the thigh area.  And pockets!  What's not to love?  


There is an invisible zipper at the center back and the waistband is fastened with a pants hook & eye notion.  

The fabric is leftover piece from this project.  It is a beautiful wine coloured cotton knit that I found at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  There was 1.6 metres left and with some creative pattern placement, I was able to add three inches to the length.  These shorts now sit just below my knee hiding my scars.  The pattern is a size 14 so I added a little more (1/2") ease to the side seams.  To the waistband, I added two inches at each end for a total of four inches extra length.  The one change that I would like to make when I revisit this pattern is to shorten the crotch length.  Otherwise, I'm thrilled with how this project turned out.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.4 length straight stitch for sewing the zipper, Janome knit stitch for the remainder of the seams.  

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.6 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  4 metres

Zipper:  20 cm invisible zipper

Hook & Eye:  1


Pattern
:  Vintage OOP Vogue 2092

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, measuring gauge, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, regular presser foot, invisible zipper foot, regular zipper foot, Janome serger, threads, iron, ironing board, hand sewing needle, tailor's wax and an audio book playing in the background.  

Stay Safe, Stay Cool and Keep Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...