Sunday 3 November 2019

Sewing Mojo on Hiatus?


First thing, I have to say when one's sewing mojo has gone on hiatus is it's okay to cut yourself some slack.  It happens to all of us.  Actually, it recently happened to me.  Again.  Many other sewing folks will suggest sewing a simple project to get you going.  Perhaps that can work, but maybe a break from sewing might be just what you need.  I know, gift giving season is just around the corner but if a break from sewing is what is in the air don't force yourself to get gift sewing projects done.  Give yourself some time to recharge.  Here are some tips that might work.  

1.  Take Your Time, it's okay.  

Life changes take time to adjust and it's okay to take the time for yourself.

Image source:  Crafty Individuals

If it's a personal issue, new baby, or other matters that needs attending to, take the time.  Sewing will always be there and we can't do it all no matter how hard we might try.  Burn out is not fun, don't go there.  Give yourself the time to recharge and rediscover the joy of sewing.

2.  Cheat

Sewing doesn't have to be inclusive, it's okay to cheat on this hobby with another.  We're creative folks and you can't restrict creativity, right? Who knows maybe the other hobby can incorporate sewing into it down the road.

I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, I find it relaxing to play with ingredients and create in the kitchen.  I just consider time away from the sewing workspace as a time to focus on the other activities I enjoy.

3.  Read a Good Book

Sometimes you can find inspiration and rediscover that love for sewing in the pages of a good novel or sewing manual.  I always wanted to learn how to fix sewing machines and I was lucky enough to find a book on the subject at my local library.


But it's not even sewing related books that help me find my way back to the sewing workspace.  Right now, I'm reading a series of books by the New York Times best-selling author Immaculee Ilibagiza.  Although these books are not voluminous in nature, they are books that address an enormous story to comprehend and the time to slow down and think about what you've just read.  Take the time to read and pause, it's part of the journey.  You may be surprised how it will affect your sewing and motivation down the road.

4.  Volunteer

Volunteering can lead you back to sewing with a new prospective.  Whether you volunteer at a homeless shelter, at a retirement centre or the cancer unit at your local hospital you may discover a new sewing project that can bring joy to someone's life.

You can even share your sewing knowledge with others, take the time and help others realize the joy that sewing has brought into your own life.  Is there a newcomer family or an after school program that can benefit from the knowledge that you can pass along.  I promise, any of these would make your heart full.

5.  Take a Walk and Get Some Exercise

Okay, for the most part sewing can be quite the sedentary activity.  And when you consider how sewing machines have evolved from the treadle machines that required movement of a variety of human body parts to activate machine movement to the impressive computerized machines that can almost sew a garment on it's own, maybe a lack of sewing mojo might be good for our health.



Whatever you do, don't force yourself to get back to it.  Sewing will always be there when you're ready.  Sometimes a break is just what you need to rediscover the joy.

Happy Sewing!  


3 comments:

  1. I have a simple dress almost finished, but just can't get the urge to go in. Much rather be knitting right now. Yet I have some items that I need to sew for Christmas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh!, cheating on sewing. lol. Me too on the holiday sewing, but I'll have to see what happens in the next six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I am always taken aback when I completely lose my mojo but I know it'll come back around :)

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...