Saturday 23 November 2019

A New Hat: OOP Vogue 8966

This little project came out of necessity after my hat from last year kept creeping up above my earlobe this week.     


I guess in cleaning and putting away my winter gear last year I shrunk my former wool hat. Luckily, there is everything that I need in my stash of sewing room goodies to correct that situation. I have a remnant piece of Italian wool from Emma One Sock and Marcy Tilton's out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 8966, circa 2013.  

I thought by the photo of the striped hat that it would sit a bit taller. Mine didn't finish with that perceived height (perhaps it was the photo angle?).  I did follow the way the pattern said to close the top but it just looked silly on me so I closed it off further. I think if I make this again, I would double the height and tie a decorative piece of leather to close it off. For now, this little hat will get me through the winter. It's an easy peasy pattern and if you're only going to make Hat E save your money, it's just a rectangular shape and according to my hat size, it's huge.  


I cut 1 1/2" inches from a size medium seam (reduced the size a total of 3" taken in to make it fit). Because of the sizing adjustments that were made the pattern markings were off so I didn't bother with following those any further.   

There are other hat and accessory patterns included that may justify the cost of the pattern. Maybe one day I'll get around to making the scarf and fingerless gloves as some holiday gifts.  

The Stats

Fabric:  0.35 metres

Pattern:  Vogue 8966

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Pins, Scissors, tailor's chalk, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads for the machines and hand-stitching, hand sewing needle, thread clippers, and a seam ripper.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie and it will keep my ears covered too! God Bless!

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...