Saturday 10 December 2011

How I spent my Saturday afternoon

I spent an afternoon participating in self-torture.


Yes, that was a pattern sheet from Burda magazine. It is for the draped dress shown here.

I spent the afternoon highlighting the pattern pieces in yellow. I haven't even started to trace it out. Now that I have finished highlighting the pattern pieces I think I've changed my mind about the project.

But now I know what everyone has been talking about when it comes to tracing out a Burda pattern.  Yikes!

Finding the pattern pieces wasn't so hard, the sheets are labelled somewhat like a map. The margins indicate a general location to find you pattern piece.

At Pattern Review, Eileen gave a helpful hint--wax paper. I would never have thought about that.

fehr Trade recommends tracing the patterns using a serrated blade on top of a carpet.

I also read someone's recommendation of using see-through plastic. Love that idea! But it could get quite expensive, no?

How do you handle Burda World of Fashion magazine patterns? Or do you want to give up when your eyes start going cross eyed?

1 comment:

  1. I live in Europe and we have used the magazines for years. That's mostly how we get patterns. I think you just have to start somewhere and get used to it. But maybe you should start with a project with less pattern pieces.

    I really do understand that it is quite a change when you are used to the nice patterns that you can get for $.99 at a sale - we just don't have that here. Printed patterns are never on sale - Burda are at least $12 and the imported American patterns are $20.

    And truth be told, Burda make some of the hardest to read pattern sheets and should be shot at dawn for it. :-)

    I wish you the best of luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...