Sunday 9 July 2023

It's Been Waiting a Long Time: OOP Butterick 5561

Just shy of twelve years ago, I made myself a top with out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 5561 and I don't know why it has taken me so long to revisit the pattern?  Well, actually I did revisit the pattern as recently as six years ago when I made a few copies for Mom.  Still it has been on my want-to-remake list for years.  Well, the years long procraftination are over and reveal day is finally here.  


Sometimes when I remake a pattern from many moons ago, I'm surprised when things fit in the shoulder compared to recent years of things fitting with dropped shoulders and oversized fit.  This top has a fit that just makes me happy when I put it on.  

The fabric is a beautiful Japanese 100% cotton fabric from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  It was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer followed by a steam pressing before hitting the cutting table.  There was no noticeable shrinkage.  Thankfully.  

It worked out being just enough for this project.  All thanks to having to shorten the sleeve length, choosing the shorter length hem, and some careful pattern placement.  The back was placed on the fold at the neckline and then fanned out from the fold towards the hem.  I was thankful again for the extra ease and that it didn't mess with the pattern on the fabric.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres -- 100% cotton

Interfacing:  0.3 metres -- fusible

Label:  1 -- KATM "me made" label



Pattern:  OOP Butterick 5561

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, measuring gauge, pins, wrist pin cushion, tailor's chalk, metal ruler, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, sharps sewing machine needle, Janome serger, threads for the machines and hand-stitching, hand sewing needle, Merchant and Mills fabric scissors, thread clippers and tea.  

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...